A good friend of mine sent me a interesting video via twitter (shoutout to @xeyxey) which brought up all these assumptions that people put on women (and men) who chose to wear their hair in its natural state. Check out the video here:
http://bit.ly/9Se9tt
Good stuff, right?! If you are natural you know EXACTLY how she feels.
Here are my thoughts:
1. "People take it upon themselves to tell you what you like better."
So true. I.E. A couple of weeks ago I straightened my hair (which I rarely do) and it was pretty long. It was running pass my shoulders and in the back it may have been bra strap length. Anywho, I got kinds of men turning heads, compliments from family members telling me, "Oh your hair looks great like that. I like your hair better when its straight." Or my personal fave: "I didn't know your hair was THAT long." Umm yeah, natural hair shrinks. Like my friend said you always feel like you have to PROVE to people that your hair is a certain length to prove to people that natural hair grows or some shit. As for the men giving me attention I kept wondering to myself, "Would they give me the time of day if my hair were in twists, or if it wasn't in a puff, or afro?" Probably not. But that's perfectly fine. I have a husband who accepts me either way I wear my hair.
2. "People call me "sista" all the time."
oooookkkkkkaaaayyyy?! This is the one I probably hate the most. I have heard SOOOOO many times that people think I'm militant, pro black, anti white, earth goddess that burns incense that smell like patchouli and I listen to Jill Scott and India.Aria all day. wTf? Now don't get me wrong I love Jill and India but I also have Coldplay, Def Lepard, Colbie Caillat, Boston, and Goo Goo Dolls on the Ipod. I do know about Assata Shakur, Angela Davis, Huey Newton, Eldridge Cleaver, etc. But I also know about Winston Churchill, Franklin D. Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy and his brother Robert (and more than they were assassinated). Yep, I use shea butter but I love victoria secret lotions too. No I don't own a dashiki. I love cardigans, cute flats, and khakis. I am a "sista" but so is the young lady that choose to wear a relaxer. Thanks for the "respect" but a simple hello will do.
3. "Everybody don't have the type of hair to go natural."
I get sick of that, too. What type of hair is "good enough" to go natural? I had that mindset, too. I thought you had to have hair like Cree Summers or Jasmine Guy to go natural. Chile, please (c) Chad Ochocinco. That's the beauty of being DIFFERENT. Of course, I would love to have hair like that but I don't. My hair is thick, coarse, and I have about 3 different textures that consist of s shaped to Z shaped on this beautiful head of mine. And I rock the sh*t out of it. Stop being ashamed of what God bless you with...that's right BLESSED you with. You too can go natural. If you want to go natural and you don't want to do it cause your hair doesn't look a certain way...get over that quickly. Your hair may NEVER look like Tracy Ellis Ross and you know what...that's okay. The main thing you want to achieve is HEALTHY hair. Damn your preconceived notions. Check out blogs and you tube channels for people who have a similar hair texture. See what products they use or if you someone that is natural ask them what they use.
No comments:
Post a Comment