Monday, October 4, 2010

Good Baby or Bad Baby

Stranger: "Awww, your baby is so cute and he's knocked out!"
Me: "Thanks. Usually when he gets in the car, he falls right on to sleep."
Stranger: "He must be a good baby"
Me: *puzzled* "Uhhh, I guess."

For those of you who have children, have you heard this phrase "good baby" before? Have you even found yourself using this phrase? I know I have used it PLENTY of times but now that I have a child, I want to look a bit deeper into this phenomenon. What the hell does 'good baby or bad baby' mean?

I have a 2 month old and most of us know at this age all they do is eat, burp, sleep, and poop (and not in that order, sometimes). When babies need these things...they usually cry. If you are a first time parent, not familiar with babies, or need a revision course in babies it take you a minute to figure out which "cry" needs tending (and even if you are familiar you it still may take you a minute) Now some babies cry even after all these needs have been met so does this make a baby a "black sheep of all babies" and he needs discipline to get his cry in check?  Of course not. It just means some babies have "higher needs" than other babies and cry a little more than others. That doesn't make the baby is "a rebel" to society and will be doomed forever with bad conduct; it just means they require more attention. But us damn adults.... if we don't understand it then it must be "bad." If we don't have the patience enough to deal with it....its bad. If it doesn't fit into our "perfect little world" its bad.

Yes, just like all babies my baby cries and sometimes I become VERY frustrated when I can't figure out what the hell is wrong. Then I remember...babies cry. That's how they communicate something is wrong and just because I can't figure it out doesn't make my son "bad." It just means I don't know what he's communicating and I have to be diligent in finding a solution to his needs. That is all. Once I have that thought to myself...most of the time usually figure out what is wrong. Other times I'm not as successful and I go close the door to my bedroom and scream. Come back to the bambino and I start over again. I NEVER just let him cry...despite what you heard you can't spoil a newborn. They need to be comforted. This how they learn trust and security. You do more damage by ignoring than tending to them; if you don't believe me check this link out:  http://www.whattoexpect.com/baby-behavior/spoil-a-newborn.aspx 

So next time you find yourself wanting to ask someone do they have a good baby or bad baby...refrain. There is no such thing. Its complete bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment